Unsolicited telephone calls misusing our name - We do not nuisance cold call - Read More

Have a question? Call us on

0800 1979 345

How to claim compensation if you’re involved in a hit and run accident

Whether you’re involved in a road traffic accident (RTA) as a pedestrian, cyclist or driver of a vehicle, the situation can be both very distressing and potentially fatal. However, one aspect of a road traffic accident that can compound the distress is when the other person involved in the accident flees the scene, this is known as a hit and run.

Usually, when one is involved in an RTA the other party involved in the accident will stop and insurance details can be swapped and a claim for compensation may follow from there.

However, if the other person involved in the accident flees the scene, what should you do?

What to do if you’re part of a hit and run accident?

If you’re the victim of an RTA which is a hit and run, it could end up costing you a lot of money. Financial compensation can not only help you restore you to the financial position you were in before the accident, but it can also help fund any rehabilitative treatment you may need as a result of an injury sustained in the accident.

However, if you are injured by a hit and run driver, you may not know who to make a claim against if the accident wasn’t your fault.

During the initial aftermath of a hit and run accident, there are a few steps you should take. Firstly call any emergency services that may be needed and report the accident to the police. After you have informed the emergency services, your next priority after ensuring any treatment you may need has been administered, is to contact your own insurance provider. You should do this within 24 hours of the accident even if you do not wish to make a claim against your own policy.

Also, it is recommended that you check the accident scene for any CCTV evidence that may have recorded the scene of the accident and may be able to show the registration of the offending vehicle. Many CCTV providers will only keep this information for a very short period of time, usually between 24 hours and 7 days, so it is imperative that you request a copy of this straight away. It may be that the CCTV evidence will only be sent to your insurer, hence why it is vital that you report it straight away.

Who do you make a claim against in a hit and run accident?

If you are unfortunate enough to be involved in a hit and run accident, you have a couple of options. Firstly, if you have fully comprehensive motor insurance you can claim against your own insurance, although this may result in you losing any no claims bonus you may have at the time the claim is made.

However, your insurance company will not pay out for any injuries that you may have suffered in the accident.

The second avenue open to victims of a hit and run accident wishing to make a compensation claim for damage to the vehicle, financial losses and/or personal injury, is to do so via the Motor Insurers’ Bureau (MIB). The MIB is an organisation that was set up in 1946 to compensate victims of drivers who are uninsured or untraceable, such as those involved in a hit and run accident.

When it comes to making a claim with the Motor Insurers’ Bureau there are two possibilities, the first is that you can represent yourself during the course of your claim. However, in order to give your claim the biggest chance of success, you can ensure a personal injury solicitor is instructed to act on your behalf.

Our team of personal injury specialists have dealt with a wide variety of road traffic accidents involving pedestrians, motorcyclists and drivers of cars and other vehicles and they also have the first-hand experience in dealing with the Motor Insurers’ Bureau both untraced and uninsured claims, and will be able to assist you with your claim every step of the way.

Gathering evidence

Whether you choose to represent yourself during your compensation claim, or you hire an expert personal injury solicitor to handle your road traffic accident claim, one thing is certain, in order to build the strongest case possible, you will need evidence.

Eyewitnesses, images of the damage and descriptions of the other vehicle and driver involved will all be needed to achieve a successful outcome. Whilst representing yourself during a claim may seem straightforward, having a specialist solicitor who is an expert in handling hit and run accidents will ensure no stone goes unturned and every procedure that must be taken during a claim is followed to the letter.

Time is often of the essence when dealing with potential untraced or uninsured vehicles because the evidence required may not be available for long. We ensure that evidence is requested at the very earliest stage possible, and timely advice provided to assist with all aspects.

Concentrate on your recovery

By having a member of our personal injury team in your corner, you will be able to focus on what matters most in the wake of your road traffic accident, and that is your recovery.

Our work on a no win no fee basis meaning there won’t be any financial obligations hanging over you as you receive rehabilitative treatment.

If you would like to discuss a potential claim with a member of our team, you can contact us today for free by calling 0800 1979 345 or alternatively you can submit an enquiry via our contact form and a member of our personal injury team will get back to you at a time that is more suitable for you.

Make an enquiry

I have read and understood the Privacy Policy