Unsolicited telephone calls misusing our name - We do not nuisance cold call - Read More

Have a question? Call us on

0800 1979 345
opening times

Top Judge calls for divorce to be blameless

After giving an interview with The Times, Lady Hale, a top Supreme Court Judge, has called for no-blame divorces so that one person does not need to be at fault in order for one to be granted quickly.

Baroness Hale of Richmond, deputy president to the Supreme Court and the only woman supreme court justice, wants ‘fault’ removed from the divorce process which presently requires divorcees to select a reason for divorce:

  • Adultery
  • unreasonable behaviour
  • two years’ separation
  • five years’ separation
  • desertion for two or more years.

It is hoped that should the law be reformed that it would also take the bitterness out of divorce and stop couples having to decide who was to blame and whether to use adultery or unreasonable behaviour as their reason for divorcing.

Sir Paul Coleridge, Chairman of the Marriage Foundation, told The Times: ‘Lady Hale, a complete expert with decades of experience across this whole field, is entirely right.

‘Our current system which pretends to be fault-based is in practice and reality no such thing. 

‘The fault is largely invented to get a quick divorce — a hangover from pre-1970 days which is manipulated by lawyers and parties.’ 

 If you are thinking about divorce and need some advice about what to expect and how the process works then please contact one of our family law solicitors who can give you professional guidance. Thorneycroft specialist divorce solicitors offer expert help and advice on the legal and financial implications of a relationship breakdown. Each member of the team has the required skills to negotiate a financial settlement ensuring a positive outcome for you. 

If you live in Macclesfield, Buxton, Holmes Chapel or surrounding areas and require divorce law advice or to discuss your separation in more detail please call one of our specialist solicitors now on FREEPHONE 0800 1979 345, or complete our simple enquiry form.